Thursday, July 12, 2007

The 'Craic'

Just got back from touring the south west of Ireland.. Gorgeous country, but yes a bit wet and a bit cool, feels a little like our winter in Sydney! Although I hear, its probably been a good time to be away! We did have a couple of sunny days here and there.. didn't even need a jacket on one day! I think I’ve just about acclimatized hehe.. It's been lovely driving through the different towns, essentially, what they have in common are pubs and bars, sometimes as you drive through you might even catch a glimpse of a grocery store or a bank... but the most prominent feature is ‘the pub’...




Driving in Ireland can be a squeeze - the car in front, preety much takes up the road, up ahead, a big tourist bus and truck attempt to pass each other - after alot of tooing and froing, they were successful!


Needless to say, I may need a liver transplant when we get back! I found a new drink that's refreshing and easy to drink (and no, it’s not a hybrid champagne!) - it's the Bulmers Original cider, it's nice when you've had a big night on the wines and can't face another glass and for me it’s much nicer than a beer… The pub’s here are pretty cool, and not because of the original interiors or the characteristics of the design… but because of the ‘Craic’ – the people and their music.. The Irish love to strike up a conversation with anyone about anything… and over a few pints it can become like you’ve been friends forever… but the thing I liked the most was their passion for the music.. it’s like a massive karaoke session!! Apparently, the songs are usually based on politics and the repression of the Irish, so a particular song will come on and the patriots will be standing, singing from their hearts, punching the air with gusto as if it their life depended on it! It was pretty cool to see…


Me and my first Murphy's, Co. Corks version of Guiness..

We made our way from Clonakilty, a small town to the south of Co.Cork – it’s known for its great pub atmosphere… apparently, buses full of hens and stags make their way here from all over for the Craic.. then headed over to Kenmare, where the Ring of Kerry starts. It was a reunion of sorts, coz Joel and Yenni joined us from Jersey, The Channel Isle.. It was a relaxing weekend, where the boys played golf (minus Joel who needed to sleep for those who know him… he’s been working those 20 hour days again..) and the girls went out doing a bit of sight seeing on the Ring of Kerry and of course enjoying a massage… brings back memories of weekends away! We had a blast really, I was the first fatality on the first night… amazingly, I’d only had about 5 glasses of wine, but I think I was drunk with happiness and the people around me…Apparently in the restaurant we had dinner in, there was a hens night going on and we totally upstaged them!!! I think that’s saying something in the land of the Irish! Anyway, really good wines and fabulous food.. Seafood was abundant on the menu, which I totally didn’t expect.. jI have to mention if you even do come to Kenmare, you have to do dinner at D’Arcey’s Oyster Bar & grill and have the Rockerfella oysters (creamy oysters cooked on a bed on of spinach and sautéed in a cream sauce served in its shell..) and the crab claws stir fried in salt and pepper, ginger and lemongrass (if I remember correctly)… we all thought it was sooo good, that when Scott went to the toilet, we all attacked his plate for the bits of claw he couldn’t be bothered to shell…it was really good….




D'Arcey's Oyster Bar and Grill, Kenmare
Scott, Rock, Joel, Sonya, Fergus & Yenni
Alas the weekend had to come to an end and the next day we made our way up the coast to tiny Doolin. It’s famous for its music pubs (the place where Traditional Irish music was first recorded). It’s also very close to the Burren, the Cliffs of Moher and Le Hinch (a links golf course that Scott played at)..

Cliffs of Moher, Doolin


The last couple of days we spent in Galway, a cute city filled with ramshackle shop fronts, pubs and good restaurants.. We stayed at the Jurys Inns, right on the Corrib River.


Quay Street, Galway

We made our way back to Co. Cork and stopped into Blarney, where I kissed the Blarney stone, hoping I would be blessed with the gift of the Gab… (no comments please!)


Just after kissing the Blarney Stone..

All in all, Ireland is a pleasure with its friendly people and charming pubs, and easy to get around. This afternoon we head off to Singapore on the last leg of Rock on tour… Looking forward to a steamy evening with a tiger beer in hand.. I’ll keep you posted!

Had to put this one in... we had a Barbie, very Irish though, umbrella in one hand, tongs in the other!


3 comments:

Mandy said...

Sounds like you guys are having a totally good time...looking forward to sharing a champers with you and hearing all about it.

RubyBlue31 said...

Wow! What an adventure! Glad that you & Scott had a blast! I will be following in your footsteps next month!!!
Looking forward to hearing about your Singapore trip...keep the posts coming! Love, Jill

neekol said...

Rochelle! The craic is ninety!